It is time for me to send you all my best wishes for the New Year 2013, may it bring you and your loved ones all you ever wanted! 2012 was a fantastic year for BestSellingCarsBlog, going from strength to strength all thanks to you: You were 900,000 to visit BSCB at least once this year, 3.5 times more than in 2011! So a HUGE Thank You to all of you who have kept coming back to and made it what it is today by sharing some rare data.
Many new countries and territories have started being regularly updated this year on BSCB, I have to say it’s one of my favourite moments: when a country can finally be explored in detail. In particular Bulgaria, Estonia, Iceland, Hong Kong (China), Macedonia, Philippines, Puerto Rico and Singapore have all become regular fixtures on the site, thanks to tips from you readers! If you have sales figures for any country or territory that doesn’t appear on the list please do not hesitate to get in touch by clicking on ‘Contact’ above!
If you were already a BSCB reader one year ago, you will remember I featured a list of world car sales questions for 2012, the first of which being ‘Will the Lada Granta dominate Russia?’ It did, but took a little more time than expected… You will find all the answers to these 25 questions for 2012 below the jump, as well as my 50 questions for 2013, starting with:
1. Will Chery crack Europe with the Qoros GQ3?
2. Will the Hyundai HB20 or Chevrolet Onix threaten the VW Gol’s supremacy in Brazil?
3. Which Passenger Car will top the Chinese year-end ranking?
4. Will General Motors, Toyota, Hyundai or any other major manufacturer announce the creation of a low-cost brand outside China? Will Nissan unveil a low-cost Datsun range as planned?
5. Will the new BYD F3 and Chery QQ make 2013 the year of the renaissance for local models in China?
6. Will Kaili, Volkswagen’s low-cost Chinese brand, finally be launched? If so will it be more successful than GM’s Baojun? Nissan’s Venucia? Honda’s Linian? Ciimo?
7. Will the Mokka and Adam help Opel towards recovery?
8. Will a BMW or Mercedes break into the UK year-end Top 5 for the first time?
9. Will the Renault Duster break into the monthly Top 5 in Russia? India?
10. Will the Dacia Dokker dominate the French LCV market, the biggest in Europe?
See 40 more questions for 2013 and the answers to the 2012 questions below. What are your questions for 2013? Post some more by commenting on this article!
11. Will the Nissan Altima or Honda Civic threaten the Toyota Camry for the Passenger Car crown in the US?
12. Will the new generation Chevy Silverado threaten the Ford F-Series in the US?
13. Will the Ford Focus pass the Toyota Corolla to become the world’s best selling car at year-end?
14. Will Great Wall succeed in the UK? Will it launch in another major European market?
15. Which of the Peugeot 208 or Renault Clio IV will finish the year #1 in France? Will they top another European country or will their success be restricted to their home country? Check out my forecast for the 2013 France models ranking here.
16. Will the VW Golf be threatened by anyone in Europe? Clio? 208? Fiesta? How many countries will it dominate?
17. Will Italy, Greece, Portugal, Croatia and Spain fall further into recession?
18. Will Europe stagnate or decline?
19. Will Peugeot/Citroen survive? Will Opel survive? Will Honda merge with another carmaker?
20. Will the Toyota Corolla top the Australian year-end ranking for the first time? Check out my forecast for the 2013 Australian models ranking here.
21. Will Indonesia and Thailand continue their explosive growth?
22. Which markets will be the 10 engines of growth?
23. Will the VW Up! go further up and reach the German/European Top 10?
24. Will the Peugeot 2008 and Renault Captur succeed or flop?
25. Will Mercedes, BMW and Audi continue their implacable growth in Europe?
26. Which of Mercedes, BMW or Audi will be the #1 premium brand in the world?
27. Will PSA end up selling its Peugeot 301 and Citroen C-Elysée in Western Europe to avoid grey market imports like Renault had to do with the Dacia Logan?
28. Will the new Mercedes A-Class beat the BMW 1 Series and Audi A3 in Europe?
29. Will Hyundai reach 10% of the Brazilian market as planned?
30. Will Russia become the #1 car market in Europe, passing Germany?
31. Will the Nissan Qashqai finish the year in pole position in Spain?
32. Will Renault launch the Lodgy in Indonesia? The Dokker? A no-frills Modus? – just my suggestions
33. Will the 500L, 500X and 500XL get Fiat back on its feet in Europe?
34. Will the new generation Jetta and Santana be more successful than their predecessors in China?
35. Will Renault sell more cars in Brazil than in France?
36. Will the 2nd generation Dacia/Renault Sandero-Logan be more successful than the first?
37. Will the Skoda Rapid replace the Octavia in pole position in Czech Republic? Slovakia? Poland? Ukraine? Hungary?
38. Will the all-new Skoda Octavia beat the all-new VW Golf in Switzerland?
39. Will Great Wall place one of its locally-produced models #1 in Bulgaria?
40. Will Chinese manufacturers continue their worldwide expansion and open more plants in new countries?
41. Will Hyundai pass Toyota in Africa? Will it continue to grow as fast in Europe? Worldwide?
42. Will Toyota stay #1 in the world?
43. Will the Volvo V40 rank on the Swedish podium at year-end?
44. Will the new Holden Commodore stabilise the nameplate’s sales in Australia?
45. Will Mazda sell more cars in Australia than in Japan?
46. Will Honda sell the N-One in Europe?
47. Will the Maserati Kubang finally go on sale? Please?
48. Will Kia place one model in the worldwide Top 10?
49. Will the Hyundai Santa Fe break into the monthly US Top 20? Top 10?
50. Which from the US or China will gain more ground?
1. Will the Lada Granta dominate Russia? Yes but it had to wait until September to do so.
3. Which model will be the best-seller in the world’s biggest market – China? The jury is still out, and it will be a tight race between the Buick Excelle, 2011′s leader, the Ford Focus and the Chevrolet Sail.
4. Will Baojun place a model in the Chinese Top 20? No, but the 630 reached a best-ever #31 in February and the Lechi was launched.
5. Will the Peugeot 208 do better than the Peugeot 207? 206? 205? So far it has started similarly to the 207 in France but foreign countries have been slow to adopt it. It’s too early to say whether it will do better than the 206 and 205. Probably not.
6. Will the new Fiat Palio threaten the VW Gol in Brazil? Not even close.
7. Will a foreign model (the VW Golf?) lead British sales at year-end for the first time in history? Nope, the Ford Fiesta stayed distant leader and the Golf is #4 again. The Golf VII may help it climb onto the podium in 2013 though.
8. Will the Hyundai Eon fight the Maruti Alto for India’s pole position? Nope, the Eon ranks #8 so far in 2012.
9. Will the new Fiat Panda end the Fiat Punto’s 18-year domination in Italy? Yes, and it did so brilliantly, even breaking the 10% market share barrier in October for the first time for the Panda nameplate since 1989.
10. Will a Chinese export manage to break into the Top 10 of a sizeable market? Yes, if we consider Ukraine as a sizeable market. The Geely CK even ranked #1 there in July!
11. Will the Holden Cruze be Australia’s #1 car for the first time? No – not even close, sadly for Holden. The Mazda3 is #1 again this year.
12. Will the Skoda Rapid sell better than the Octavia and Fabia in Central Europe? Too early to say, but the Rapid had somewhat of an awkward start in the region.
14. Will the DS series from Citroen continue to succeed with the DS5? Yes but mainly in France.
15. Will the Toyota Camry be the best-selling passenger car in the US for the 11th consecutive year? Yes.
16. Will the Ford F-Series be the best-selling vehicle in the US for the 31st year in a row? Yes.
17. Will Iran start accessing new designs instead of 25-year old cars like the Kia Pride and Peugeot 405? Not really. Apart from the Great Wall C30 produced in tiny numbers, and the Saipa Tiba.
18. Will the Dacia/Renault Duster break into the French and Brazilian podiums – even for a month? No, it was a consolidation year for the Duster in both countries, but it delivered outstanding performances in Russia (#7) and India (#13) where it launched in 2012.
19. Will the Dacia Lodgy be the third Dacia to break into the French monthly Top 5 after the Sandero and Duster? No, but it was the 4th Dacia after the Logan, Sandero and Duster to break into the French monthly Top 10 in August.
20. Will the Renault Clio 4 do better than the 3? Too early to say, but the Clio 4 did take the lead of the French market for its first true month of sales in the country in November…
22. Will Hyundai threaten Toyota in world sales? Nope, Toyota recovered from a 2011 plagued with natural disasters and is expected to grow by 22% in 2012 to reclaim the world #1 car manufacturer title…
23. Will the Tata Nano be finally resurrected or put out of its misery? No, and its sales have continued to disappoint.
24. How will the Chevy Volt and Opel Ampera do in Europe? Lukewarmly…
25. Will PSA’s SUV twins the Citroen C4 Aircross and Peugeot 4008 do better than the Renault Koleos? Nope.