skip to Main Content

Brazil July 2016: Nissan Kicks lands for Olympics, market down 20%

Nissan Kicks Brazil July 2016The Nissan Kicks lands at #56 in Brazil this month.

* See the Top 20 brands and Top 150 models by clicking on the title *

Just in time for the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics, we give you the July 2016 update for the Brazilian new light vehicle market. And unfortunately it’s not good news with another 20% year-on-year plunge to 174.792 registrations, pulling the year-to-date total down 24% to 1.125.905 units. Chevrolet celebrates 10 consecutive months atop the Brazilian brands ranking and dips just 4% to 29.577 sales and 16.9% share vs. 28.708 and 16.4% (-25%) for Fiat and 21.502 and 12.3% (-31%) for Volkswagen. Toyota brilliantly gains 2% to overtake both Ford (-36%) and Hyundai (-14%) for 4th place overall with Renault (-16%), Honda (-30%), Nissan (-2%) and Jeep (+13%) rounding out the Top 10.

Chevrolet Onix Activ Brazil July 20162017 Chevrolet Onix

Model-wise, the Chevrolet Onix also celebrates a milestone – 12 consecutive months in pole position – and doesn’t loosen its grip on the charts by any measure, even posting a stunning 8% year-on-year increase to 11.591 sales and 6.6% share thanks to a new generation. Note the sedan variant, the Prisma, also facelifted, is in olympic shape as well at +1% in 6th place. The Onix’s direct follower is once again the Hyundai HB20 (for the 7th consecutive time), also in positive at +2% to 9.697 units and 5.5%. The Ford Ka (-22%) and VW Gol (-11%) gain market share but the Fiat Palio (-47%) implodes in 5th place.

Fiat Mobi Brazil July 2016. Picture courtesy Mobi

The Jeep Renegade (+18%) resumes its domination of the SUV segment at #10, now above the Honda HR-V, down 2% to #11 while a new entrant makes its appearance: the Nissan Kicks at #56 with 590. Fiat’s recent launches consolidate their position: the Toro is down two spots to #13 but remains the 2nd best-selling pickup in the country below the Fiat Strada (#7), and the Mobi is up two ranks to #17 with 3.604 sales, more than the Uno (-52%).

Previous post: Brazil First Half 2016: Fall accelerates to -25%, Chevrolet takes charge

Previous month: Brazil June 2016: Chevrolet Onix and Renault Sandero impress

One year ago: Brazil July 2015: Jeep Renegade teases Honda HR-V for #1 SUV

Full July 2016 Top 20 brands and Top 150 models below.

This content is for Platinum members only.
Log In Register
Back To Top