error: This content is protected, please contact Matt@bestsellingcarsblog.com if you would like to license for reuse.
skip to Main Content

Azerbaijan Full Year 2019: Khazar LD/SD takes control in market up 14.5%

The Khazar LD/SD is the best-selling vehicle in Azerbaijan in 2019.

Thanks to Ferid Nurizada from Autodata.az we can share with you 2019 new light vehicle sales data for Azerbaijan, a market up 14.5% year-on-year to 10.608 registrations. Both brands and models rankings are completely reshuffled this year. Launched in April 2018, local brand Khazar (“Caspian” in local language) more than doubles its annual sales to take the lead of the brands ranking for its first full year of sales in 2019 with 15.3% share. Khazar also produces the Iranian Peugeot 405 which adds another 2.1% share, for a Khazar total of 17.4%.

The Lada 4×4 remains in 2nd place.

Lada (+30%) doubles the market growth thanks to robust Granta (+25%) and Vesta (+80%) sales to hit 13.3% share, edging up one spot on 2018 to #2. Last year’s leader Hyundai (-42.2%) is hit full frontal and skids to #3 overall above Toyota (-48.2%) and Kia (-20.5%) both also in dire straits. Renault (+216.4%) benefits from a large Logan taxi order, with Nissan (+56.4%) thanks to the Kicks and Volkswagen (+31.6%) thanks to the Polo Sedan also posting fantastic gains in the remainder of the Top 10. Further down, Skoda shines with sales up 25-fold while GAC signs a dynamic restart and Alfa Romeo shoots up 175%.

The Khazar LD is a locally produced Iran Khodro Dena.

Model-wise, the Khazar LD/SD, a locally produced Iran Khodro Dena, brilliantly takes the lead in 2019. Our Dacia Duster adventure took us to Azerbaijan last year and I did witness the popularity of the new Khazar LD in the capital Baku. Stay tuned for our full Photo Report! The valiant Lada 4×4 (aka Niva) remains in 2nd place, eclipsing last year’s leader the Hyundai Accent while the Toyota RAV4 and Kia Rio round out the Top 5. Our local contact Ferid is also telling us that during COVID-19 lockdown (April 5 – May 11), sales in the country almost ground to a half with April volumes down -92.2% year-on-year to 44 units, a majority of them estimated to be government sales of special purpose vehicles (mainly ambulances). Lada delivered 10 new vehicles (-90%) in April.

Previous year: Azerbaijan Full Year 2018: Hyundai Accent snaps #1 spot, new local brand Khazar lands

Two years ago: Azerbaijan Full Year 2017: Hyundai and Ravon Nexia R3 top market up 26.5%

Full Year 2019 Top 10 brands and Top 5 models vs. Full Year 2018 figures below.

This content is for Platinum members only.
Log In Register
Back To Top