Home > World > Historical Data available for 67 countries: see if you can help!

Historical Data available for 67 countries: see if you can help!

Was the Cadillac Fleetwood the best-selling car in the US in 1958? You tell me!

* See All Historical Data for 67 countries by clicking on the title! *

With so many new readers coming on the site every day I thought a quick heads-up about Historical Data would be useful. 66 countries are now available on the site! Highlights are Germany for each year since 1946France for each year since 1949the UK for each year since 1965Brazil since 1954 and Norway since 1956. Given all my posts are ordered chronologically, the older the data, the further down the list it appears. I am working on an easier way to get to Historical Data here but for now the simplest way for you to check it out is either to:

- Click on the title of this post, scroll down below the fold and click on the country link to access all Historical Data for that country.

- Click on the country you want on the right hand side of the page, scroll down, click on 'older entries' and enjoy!

- Scroll down until you find dates on the right hand side of the page, click on the year you want and enjoy!

I am still updating the site as I receive more Historical Data and the next batch will cover France thanks to the amazing work of STAC!

The Lada 2101-3 was #1 car in USSR in the seventies, but how much did it sell? You tell me!

In the meantime, there are still a lot of patchy Historical Data areas and this is where you come in! Have a look below the jump at all missing periods and see whether you can help by sharing data you have that is not yet on the site... The most blatant needs are for the USA between 1928 and 1973 and 1987-1991, France for 1950-1957 and 1971-1978, Australia before 1996, Russia+China+India before 2002 and Japan before 1998...

If you can help, just comment on here and I will contact you via email.

Many of you have helped in this long-term process by sharing your own data so I want to thank you all very much for it!  In particular I would like to thank Florian for German data since 1946, UK data since 1965 and the Interautonews tip, Bruno for Argentina data since 1965, Adam+DC for 70s/80s US data, myk for Philippines data since 1995, STAC for France data since 1949, Marcelo for the tip to Brazil data since 1962, Ryan P for UK data since 1974, Andrea+Cristiana for Italy data since 1956, Bill for Greece info since 1970 and Vavon+Andrea for the tip to Netherlands data since 1982. Please forgive me if I have forgotten you.

See how you can help by clicking on 'Read more' below.

Categories: World
  1. Bill
    May 30th, 2012 at 04:39 | #1

I just saw your notice about Greek data before 1996. I’ve already sent and you have post total Greek car sales from 1991 to 1995 and best selling models by segment for 1995. Cheers.
    Bill.

May 30th, 2012 at 11:51 | #2

Hi Bill – yep your data is on my list of updates to do shortly! :-) Just haven’t had a chance to get to it yet…
      Thank you very much for your help!

2. Bill
    May 30th, 2012 at 04:31 | #3

Hi Matt. I have found some rare infos about Greek car market for 60s & 70s. I can send you an e-mail.

3. STAC
    May 29th, 2012 at 11:52 | #4

matgasnier :
    Cool merci STAC!

voilà tu as eu mes mails!
    à tout à l’heure

4. May 28th, 2012 at 23:55 | #5

what’s your email address?? i do have an excel file of other vehicle data…. thanks!!

5. Steam
    May 28th, 2012 at 18:01 | #6

Hey Matt, you are doing a phantastic job by collecting and publishing all these data. You are always curious to improve, to add, to correct. Thank you very very much. :)

May 29th, 2012 at 12:27 | #7

Thank you Steam! I’m really glad you’re enjoying it :)

6. Steam
    May 28th, 2012 at 17:59 | #8
  7. Rob
    May 28th, 2012 at 01:37 | #9

Hi Matt, I can get you UK sales figures of Skodas from the 80′s to present if that is of any help.

8. STAC
    May 27th, 2012 at 16:15 | #10

Salut Matt,

j’ai bien eu ton mail, dès que j’ai le temps je te ferai scanner les stats pour la france ce soir ou dès demain et je te ferai scanner les autres stats (europe, hollande, danemark, portugal, grèce,…que tu sais) plus tard car il y en a trop dans les l’argus!!!!

à bientôt

May 27th, 2012 at 22:57 | #11

Cool merci STAC!

9. April 8th, 2012 at 03:58 | #12

Hello Matt,

i have a weblog about Subaru in the Netherlands. I try report as many sales results as i can about Subaru, but i can’t find the brand results of many countries. I was wondering if you could help me?

Subarublog

10. SEBA
    December 31st, 2011 at 22:02 | #13
  11. SEBA
  12. myk
      December 31st, 2011 at 16:30 | #16

Thanks for this myk – I will keep these links for future reference.

13. myk
    December 31st, 2011 at 14:05 | #17

I have obtained production figures and sales figures (per brand) in the Philippines from 1991-1999.

You might want to check and consider this

December 31st, 2011 at 14:49 | #18

Great thank you myk, I will check this out! :-)

14. Bauhaus
    September 13th, 2011 at 11:18 | #19

Matt, i can help you with some statics from Argentina. I have info from years 1996 onwards, just have to re-write it on txt format.

September 14th, 2011 at 03:23 | #20

Hi Bauhaus,
      That would be great! I will email you separately so it is easier for you.
      Thank you very much for your help!

15. September 12th, 2011 at 19:46 | #21

@matgasnier
    I will try to send you this even today, maybe at the evening.

16. September 12th, 2011 at 17:19 | #22

Matt, I have several South African car magazines from the 80´s and 90´s and I can help you to inform about best selling cars in that period.

September 12th, 2011 at 18:15 | #23

Hi Miguel,
      That would be great! How do you want to send me the data?
      Thank you very much for your help.

17. Florian
    September 12th, 2011 at 06:20 | #24

Hi Matt,
    first of all: I love this blog! And I want to help. I have really detailed data from Germany from 1971 onwards (most of the years including the sales figures of convertibles in each year by model) and a little less complete data for 1946-1970 (and I don´t think that there can be found data from before 1946 anywhere). I´d like to post this to you, so please get in contact. As a preliminary Information, I can tell you, that in the years 1974 and 1980, no Volkswagen was Germany´s Number 1, but a Mercedes (MB W114/115 in 1974 and MB W123 in 1980).
    To close with, I want to recommend a website: http://www.interautonews.it. You have to register (but its charge-free). It contains detailed data (sales figures by make and model, sometimes even by model-variants) for Italy, Europe an the US, as well as the Top 10 best-sellers of each European country from 1997 onwards.
    I also have detailed data from UK from about 1965 onwards, some years (1993,1994,2004) completely with sales figures by make and model, and, in the more recent years usually the figures of at least 100 models (also convertible sales).
    I can also give you the sales figures of all Volkswagens and Audis in the US (by model and year) from 1949 onwards.
    Florian

18. Rutger (D-C)
    September 12th, 2011 at 02:39 | #25

I have access to production and sales figures of a number countries in the years 1974/1975 which can be found in the German Auto Katalog of 1976. I will make some scans of it for you soon.
    Maybe there are Germans who own more editions of the Auto Katalog?
    I have also some old German Auto, Motor und Sport magazines with top 20/30/40 charts of the German sales, but I do not have easily access to them (stored in the loft of my grandmother’s house in Rotterdam :)) So that’s something for the longer term.

September 12th, 2011 at 04:06 | #26

Hi Rutger,
      Thank you it would be great to have access to the data you are talking about!
      Looking forward to receiving it from you!
      Thanks very much for your help