Home > Portugal > Portugal August 2011: VW Golf and Ford Focus shine

Portugal August 2011: VW Golf and Ford Focus shine

VW Golf Variant

* See 'Read more' for the Top 20 best-selling models! Many thanks to Tuga for the data *

For the first time this year I am able to share with you a models ranking for Portugal, a market down 2% in August at 11,723 registrations and a worrying 20% year-to-date at 117,909 units. This month like in July Volkswagen is the best-selling brand above Renault and it places the Golf in pole position with 382 sales and 3.3%, much better than its 6th place year-to-date.

Renault Megane

The Renault Megane is by far the best-selling model in Portugal so far in 2011 with 6,467 sales and 5.5% share, but it is down to #2 in August at 348 units and 3%. The Peugeot 207 climbs onto the podium at 2.7%, ahead of the Ford Focus, boosted by the new generation at #4 vs. #13 in 2011.

Mercedes C Class

The Seat Ibiza, #2 in 2011 like in 2010 is down to #5 in August, followed by the VW Passat in fantastic shape with 236 sales and 2% vs. 1.5% and #15 in 2011 and 0.7% and #44 in 2010! Other great performers this month in Portugal include the Mercedes C Class at #9, the Mercedes E Class at #12 and the Dacia Duster at #14.

Previous post: see the Portuguese 2010 Top 50 best-selling models here.

Full August and 8 months 2011 Top 20 Ranking Tables below.

Categories: Portugal
  1. tuga
    October 4th, 2011 at 02:27 | #1

September manufacturers sales are out.

1 – VW – 952 / 12160 ( 2 )
    2 – Ford – 801 / 8583 ( 5 )
    3 – Peugeot – 795 / 10512 ( 3 )
    4 – Renault – 689 / 13282 ( 1 )
    5 – Opel – 635 / 9432 ( 4 )
    6 – Mercedes – 616 / 5742 ( 10 )
    7 – Citroen – 539 / 7392 ( 6 )
    8 – BMW – 503 / 5797 ( 9 )
    9 – Audi – 406 / 4995 ( 12 )
    10 – Nissan – 342 / 5313 ( 11 )

The overall market itself was down by 33.8% ( -23.5% YTD.

2. October 3rd, 2011 at 07:26 | #2

@tuga
    You drive an ibiza for sure!!!!! Do not need to shout. We´ve already got the point!

3. Pepi
    October 2nd, 2011 at 05:50 | #3

I can’t believe someone can deny an official statistic because sees another cars on the road…

4. tuga
    October 2nd, 2011 at 05:42 | #4

@Miguel
    Sir, you are a piece of work. I am done talking to you. Not worth the bother.

Have a nice life.

@Pepi: The Ibiza IS very successful in Portugal. It has been for years ( ever since the ’93 Ibiza, which was a huge hit, right up to the time it got replaced. Especially the 2 seat LCV conversion versions we had made over here, with the higher power TDi engines ) and is a common sight on Portuguese streets. Everywhere. Old AND new generation. With the new one being the second best selling car in Portugal right now.

5. October 2nd, 2011 at 05:04 | #5

@tuga
    Yes, the previous Ibizas I also see a lot everywhere! they sold well some times ago and depriciation valu is quite high, they have poor resale value but new Ibizas is hard to see!

6. tuga
    October 2nd, 2011 at 03:47 | #6

@Miguel
    Nope, live in Lisbon, see Ibizas everywhere.

7. October 2nd, 2011 at 03:05 | #7

@Pepi
    Pepi, with all the respect I have for you I´m can assure that I see few new Ibizas on the Portuguese roads!! Maybe the majority of them are sold in the North; I live in the South. the cars I see in major quantity are renaults Clios and Méganes, Citroens C3,C2,C1, Xsaras, Picassos, Peugeots 307, 206, 106, 207, Opel corsas, Astras, Fords fiestas, focus, Fiats puntos, VW golfs IV, Passats and some mercedes. I´m sorry but I do not care about you´re thinking or you comments, these are the cars in majority on the Portuguese roads, I live here for more than 25 years and I´m acar fan since a child!!!!!!!!

8. Pepi
    October 1st, 2011 at 19:40 | #8

I remember when Miguel said SEAT Ibiza is not a succees in Portugal… He said literally “It´s not the second best selling car, that I assure you at 100%!!!!!!! Probably the 16th or 17th best selling car if it is”… but he never shares any data to prove his comments…

You can see the discussion here: http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2011/08/05/spain-july-2011-seat-ibiza-and-leon-on-top/

9. tuga
    October 1st, 2011 at 09:19 | #9

@Miguel
    Again, as i said on the other post, you were the one who brought them up. Care to share were you get your numbers from? Besides ” seeing cars on the street “.

10. October 1st, 2011 at 08:02 | #10

I know the small “pocket magazine” Guia do automóvel” and I can tell that is not a very reliable source of information!

October 1st, 2011 at 11:26 | #11

Hi Miguel,
      I’m afraid I don’t understand your comment here.
      Are you saying that ‘Guia do Automovel’ are making sales figures up?
      M