Home > Switzerland > Switzerland August 2011: VW Golf and Polo strong UPDATED

Switzerland August 2011: VW Golf and Polo strong UPDATED

Subaru Legacy

* Now updated with the Top 50 best-selling models! See 'Read more' at end of post *

Over the first 8 months of 2011, the Swiss car market is up 5% year-on-year at 201,821 registrations. The VW Golf is still the market leader by far, even reaching 5.3% share over the last 2 months (L2M). The Skoda Octavia is #2 year-to-date at 3% and reaches 3.7% over L2M with 1,602 sales, however this is not enough to stay above the VW Polo, excelling at 1,617 units.

VW Golf and Polo

The Ford Focus is #4 in L2M just above the VW Passat, both at 1.9% share, the Audi A4 is back within the year-to-date Top 10 at #8 with 2,947 sales and 1.5%. Other great performers over the last 2 months include the Renault Scenic at #8, the Subaru Legacy at #13 and the Audi Q5 at #23.

Previous post: see the Swiss 6 months 2011 Top 100 best-selling models here.

Full 8 months 2011 Top 50 and L2M Top 40 Ranking Tables below.

Categories: Switzerland
  1. tuga
    October 3rd, 2011 at 08:34 | #1

Can i just say that i have never, ever, been insulted ( or had someone try to insult me ) by telling me that ” i must drive an Ibiza ” :D:D:D
    That is the most retarded thing i have heard in ages. I am, literally, LOLing right now.

That is all.

2. tuga
    October 2nd, 2011 at 03:45 | #2

Miguel :@tuga I did not buy them up, I just advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, ok. So in fact you don’t know what the hell it is you’re talking about.

Cars you see on the streets are NOT an indicator of sales. So, from now on, if you’re going to call people out on making mistakes and presenting fawlty numbers, maybe you should come up with some numbers ( as in facts ) of your own.

And btw, i live in Lisbon, and i have lived in or around Lisbon for 32 years. Just to clarify another of the pointless points you seem to keep on making, about how you have lived in Portugal for 25 years. Give us facts or give us opinions, but don’t try passing on your personal opinions as if they are facts.

3. October 2nd, 2011 at 03:09 | #3

@tuga
    I did not buy them up, I just advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. tuga
    October 1st, 2011 at 09:16 | #4

Miguel :@tuga Well, “Guia do automóvel” is not vey reliable in terms of sales information!

You where the one who brought them up.

5. October 1st, 2011 at 07:54 | #5

@tuga
    Well, “Guia do automóvel” is not vey reliable in terms of sales information! As you can see sales drooped in a dramatic way!! The VW polo is 15th tha´s why, as I said, we see few on the roads. To my surprise the golf VI sold 300 in August but curiously I hardly see one!!!!!!

6. tuga
    September 30th, 2011 at 23:53 | #6

@Miguel Figueira
    So i did has you suggested and i went out and bought ” Guia do Automovel “. According to the October edition, the 20 best selling cars in August in Portugal where ( August 11 sales/ YTD 11 sales ):

1 – VW Golf – 382 / 3805

So the top 10, Jan/Aug 11 would be

1 – Megane
    2 – Ibiza
    3 – Clio
    4 – Corsa
    5 – Polo ( the fiasco )
    6 – Golf ( the one that isn’t selling well at all )
    7 – 207
    8 – Fiesta
    9 – Punto Evo
    10 – Astra.

I have the magazine here with me, will happily take a print of the sales chart and mail it to anyone who might want it.

October 1st, 2011 at 01:21 | #7

Hi Tuga,
      Thanks for sharing this Top 20!
      If you don’t mind I will write a post about this because this is the first time I see 2011 sales data by model for Portugal.
      Thank you very much!

7. September 30th, 2011 at 19:09 | #8

@tuga
    I´m sorry my friend, I live in PortugAL about 25 years ago and I consolidade my comment and opinion: the golf is not 2 nd best selling car!!! You do not see so many new golfs VI and the new Polo is rare to see and it´s not in 8th place of sales!! I´M SURE OF THAT!!!!!!

September 30th, 2011 at 22:42 | #9

Hi Miguel,
      Official statistics show that VW was the best-selling brand in Portugal in July and August. The fact that you in your streets do not see many VW’s has not much to do with official stats?
      Again if you have more info about the best-selling models in Portugal can you please share it with everyone?

8. tuga
    September 30th, 2011 at 10:08 | #10

@tuga
    Oh, and i hadn’t noticed, they where number 1 in July too. I wonder what the hell it is they’re selling, with ( according to you ) the Golf being so down in the charts and the Polo being a fiasco. Must be Phaetons…

9. tuga
    September 30th, 2011 at 09:57 | #11

@Miguel Figueira
    Funny. According to Volante, in April the Golf was 6th overall ( as i said, number 2 in it’s segment ) and the Polo was 8th ( A ” fiasco “. Right… ).

Ans as for them not being best sellers right now, care to enlighten us wich brand was the best selling brand in August? Here, have a look:

And i repeat: I am in no way a VW fan. But for someone who keeps bringing car sales numbers up, you seem to be, at least, misinformed.

10. September 29th, 2011 at 22:43 | #12

@matgasnier
    Matt, in fact VW was a best seller in Portugal but not now. If you look at the cars passing on the roads you´ll noticed few numbers of new VW´S golf VI and many VW´S golfs IV! Few ancient polos were sold and the new one is not very common here. I can tell you that the most common cars on the Portuguese roads are renaults clios, Méganes, Lagunas, Citroens C1, C3, C2, Xsaras, Peugeots 206, 207, 307, 106, 107, Fords fiesta, focus, opel corsas, astras, vectras, toyotas yaris, corolla, auris, seats ibizas, Nissan micras, smarts and fiats puntos and pandas mainly the old Punto serie 1 from 1994 that was a huge success here.

September 30th, 2011 at 00:52 | #13

Miguel: do you have official 2011 models rankings for Portugal?
      thanks
      M

11. September 29th, 2011 at 17:12 | #14

@tuga
    Well Tuga, we must live in a different portugal!! When the golf VI was launched 3 years ago, it sold well, was number 2 or 3 but now it´s number 12, see “guia do automóvel”. The polo is a kind of a fiasco and we see very few in the roads, that´s a fact we can´t deny!!!! The passat sold well in S.W. first generation, but not now. the touran is 25 on sales wich is not very good. Is your Portugal different? Maybe!!! “Guia do automóvel”

12. tuga
    September 29th, 2011 at 04:02 | #16

@Miguel Figueira
    I seriously have no idea where this Portugal you live in is. In the Portugal i live in, VW is number 2 in sales, quickly closing in on Renault, who have dominated it for years. The Golf is number 2 in it’s segment, the Polo has solid if unremarkable sales and both the Passat and the Sharan do quite well ( the Passat is the D-segment sales leader ).

As for the pricing, its still above the competition, but the cars now come with decent levels of equipment, so they are much more competitive than before.

13. Fabio83
    September 29th, 2011 at 02:00 | #17

@Miguel Figueira
    instead here in Italy, especially in the North, Volkswagen sell so many cars. Also the “new” Passat that, in my opinion, now is worse than the previous model. But i saw so much new Passat also in Sweden in last August. Now i prefer Opel or some Japanese car, the it depends on the car. Passat and Touran for me are good cars, but there is something better like Insignia, Accord or others. For Polo i think it’s a really good car, maybe one of the best of the segment B

14. September 28th, 2011 at 23:17 | #18

@Fabio83
    Here in Portugal VW is becoming a little bit tyring and boring and sales drooped due to that fact. The polo has few sales and never knew the success here. The golf is the 12th on sales but all the models range are expensive.

15. Fabio83
    September 28th, 2011 at 19:05 | #19

@Aykut
    Hi!
    here in Italy the Polo starts from 12,900.00 €, then some VW as Polo i like, but others are too similar, like Touran and the new Sharan. There is too much family feeling in the style of the VW and now they have some of the most important stylist like de Silva or Giugiaro.

16. September 28th, 2011 at 18:29 | #20

@Aykut
    I do not like. I prefere Ford. More reliable and original.

17. Aykut
    September 28th, 2011 at 06:34 | #21

I love VW’s cars. In my country (Turkey) VW’s cars are very populer. Because of our taxes, they are much expensive. For example Polo’s price is 15.000 Euro. I heard Polo’s prices is 8-10.000 Euro in the other EU countries. Am I wrong?

18. tuga
    September 28th, 2011 at 05:38 | #22

@Miguel
    I understand what you’re saying, but i don’t see them as being any more arrogant than, say, BMW, Fiat, Toyota or even Suzuki. It’s their company culture.

Having said that, it does for some funny moments, like the current VW-Suzuki novella, or this video of VW CEO Martin Winterkorn getting pissed off at Hyundai while on camera :)

19. September 28th, 2011 at 04:59 | #23

@tuga
    I´m not a fan at all! Their cars are boring, massive in style and not very reliable. Besides that the marque has acertain arrogance and prepotency…

20. tuga
    September 28th, 2011 at 02:19 | #24

What is it with the VW hate? Sure, they make boring cars, but that’s why people like them. It’s not like they’re crap or anything.

21. September 28th, 2011 at 00:44 | #25

Seems that VW group has shares in Switzerland! 4 Vw´s in the 10 places, is too much!! VW seems to be quite competitive priced in Switzerland.

22. Sith
    September 28th, 2011 at 00:27 | #26

OMG, too much cars of the vw company.