Home > Kenya > Kenya 2011: Toyota Corolla a long-time favourite

Kenya 2011: Toyota Corolla a long-time favourite

Toyota Corolla

* Click on title for street scenes and videos! *

* Many thanks to Hapa who made this post update possible! *

Toyota literally owns the Kenyan car market with at least half of all cars in circulation former generations of Corolla, Camry, Yaris, RAV4 or Land Cruiser. Among other brands only Nissan with the Sunny can claim a similar influence of the motoring landscape of Kenya.

Toyota Allion

New cars are still very rare in the streets of Nairobi but given the country's sales background, in all likeliness the Toyota Corolla should lead the Kenyan sales in 2010, ahead of the Yaris and RAV4. Toyota has also been dominating the recent second-hand market with the Premio, Allion, Probox and Succeed extremely popular.

Nissan seems to be selling solid numbers of Tiidas, X-Trails and 1 Ton pick-ups (aka Frontier old gen) these days. Subaru should find a place on the brands ranking podium in Kenya, its most successful models being the Forester and Impreza. Other favourites include the Isuzu KB (aka D-Max), Suzuki Grand Vitara, VW Golf and Passat which the government seem to be very fond of.

More pictures and street videos: click on 'Read more' below the Subaru Forester pic.

Subaru Forester

Categories: Kenya
  1. Hammad
    February 3rd, 2014 at 17:42 | #1

Hi my friends. This is Hammad here from Car Junction co ltd. Car Junction is the car exporting company, we are exporting all the Japanese Vehicles to all over the world including Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda. If you like to import any Japanese cars in a good cheapest prices then let me know on my email i will update you regarding all the steps.

2. tariq
    June 30th, 2013 at 21:26 | #2

I am a used car dealer based in mombasa. Most popular cars are used cars imported from japan. This year theres no car more sought after than the Premio, while the corolla is dead.

3. March 19th, 2013 at 21:02 | #3

there is no doubt that Toyota is Kenyan’s favorite car,i personally like them too.

4. October 2nd, 2012 at 17:29 | #4

Well, I still recommend to my friends to buy toyota cars – brand new or used. For me in my opinion, they have reliable engine, I agree corolla is one of the good cars to own!

5. DownloadHapa
    July 5th, 2011 at 03:50 | #5

The Corolla as you say is king here closely followed by second-hand Toyota’s like the Premio and Allion which spiked in 2009,2010 and 2011. The Yaris popularly sold here as the Vitz and Probox and its close cousin Succeed are catching on here very fast, so is the Toyota Wish, Ist and the more upmarket Avensis which have also gained lots of fans here. The Hiace, Hilux, Prado & RAV4 are also very popular in their respective segments.
    After the Toyota’s, Subaru’s with the Forrester and Impreza follow a close second with the Nissan Sunny, VW Golf, and recently the VW Passat after Govt bought lots of Passats. Nissan’s XTrail is also doing well here.
    There’s generally a good mix of models in Kenya but Toyotas rule mainly because of the good resale value and legendary reliability.

July 6th, 2011 at 00:02 | #6

Hello!
      Thank you very much for all this information! I will amend my Kenya post shortly!