Home > Myanmar > Myanmar: More information needed

Myanmar: More information needed

* Click on title for more pictures! *

Observation of the streets of Yangon through YouTube videos bring to light a particular situation in the Myanmar car market: very high import taxes make new cars an out of reach prospect for most consumers, and in this context, the 1992 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon swarm the streets, and the 1998 Nissan Sunny and 1993 Suzuki Wagon R are also very present. A few extremely rare 2007 Toyota Corolla and 2005 Toyota Hilux can also be seen.

Please get in touch if you have any more info about this market!

More pictures below.

Categories: Myanmar
  1. Ajarn Pete
    November 11th, 2013 at 15:34 | #1

I have worked in Yangon for nearly 3 years & have seen many changes to the car market here, I was told that before it opened up, you needed some connection with a very high up military person to bring in any sort of luxury car (or in fact any car) and the taxes made these cars worth more than a house. Some people paid close to half a million dollars for late model Landcruisers !!
    The good & the bad, cars are quite cheap now and prices are still going down, (2012/13) but traffic is in some cases worse than Bangkok, with traffic jams now a part of daily life, & roads are still, slowly being repaired, the city is trying (too hard ?) to catch up to the 21st century..

2. Ryusuke
    July 1st, 2013 at 11:48 | #2

@Lib
    Hello Lib,
    I live in Japan.
    From a business view point, I didn’t think there was an opportunity in luxury market right now because luxury car shops were not seen and the number of rich people were not so many. Besides, I suppose those who drove luxury cars had connections with some auto dealers’s owners(they were exclusive so they knew each other well), so they wouldn’t buy them from new comers.
    However, you can say this can be great chance for luxury cars because the auto dealers on street don’t handle luxury cars. I’m not sure about this…

3. Lib
    May 23rd, 2013 at 16:39 | #3

@Ryusuke

Could you let me know if you have anymore information regarding the luxury car market in Myanmar?

Thank you for the insights. May I know where are you from?

4. Ryusuke
    May 23rd, 2013 at 15:36 | #4

@Lib
    Hi, I’m certain luxury car owners are the MILITARY and military-related people. There are some rich business people driving expensive cars, but I had it from a local woman that they at first had relation with the military so that they made it(Probably, they had to do business). And, you can notice the military owned cars have distinctive license plates. (Honestly, I cannot distinguish them because I don’t know Myanmar words. The local can easily do.)

5. Lib
    May 23rd, 2013 at 15:33 | #5

@matgasnier

Anyway great blog!

6. Lib
    May 23rd, 2013 at 14:40 | #6

@Ryusuke

Thank you for the information! Appreciate it so much.

I’m just wondering who are the ones driving the luxury cars? Government officials and the tycoons who have good relations with them? I could hardly find information regarding the Myanmar car market.

7. Ryusuke
    May 22nd, 2013 at 20:26 | #7

@matgasnier
    Hi Matt, do you know how I can find your email address?

8. Ryusuke
    May 22nd, 2013 at 20:19 | #8

@Lib
    That’s a hard question to answer because I’ve been away from Myanmar since last December, and the popular cars suddenly change due to the gov’s policy.
    But, I can say the people there have great trust in Toyota, that’s for sure.

In Yangon, it looked to me that almost 90 to 95% of the cars on street were replaced these days. And, due to the gov’s policy, smaller models with less than 1351cc engines were getting more popular. A salesperson in the biggest outdoor market said that 4WD with diesel engine like Surf were still popular among those who came from the rural region while smaller cars were popular among the city people.

9. Lib
    May 22nd, 2013 at 17:07 | #9

Hi @Ryusuke,
    Do you know what’s the most popular car amongst the car owners in Myanmar?
    @Ryusuke

10. Ryusuke
    May 22nd, 2013 at 17:02 | #10

@matgasnier
    Hello, Matt,
    I just now noticed your comment. Sorry about this. If you still need some photo, I’ll send you some. But, I’m not a good photographer, so don’t expect the quality too much.

May 22nd, 2013 at 20:17 | #11

Hi Ryusuke,
      I would love some photos of Myanmar streets!
      Many thanks in advance :)
      Best,

11. Lib
    May 22nd, 2013 at 15:29 | #12

Hi, do you know how is the car market like right now?

12. Ryusuke
    November 29th, 2012 at 14:12 | #13

Since 20th/Nov, I have stayed in Yangon to investigate the car market. It was first time for me to visit Myanmar.
    For taxi usage, it seems that Toyota Probox are running anywhere. Then, QQ and a Chinese car can be seen, as well. But, it looks like to me Probox sell best in Yangon.
    For personal usage, I see many Toyota Surf(4 runner), Land Cruiser, Max X and Vitz. But, to be surprised. I sometimes see so expensive cars like Range Rover, LX570. It’s not so many, but it’s not little.
    I can give you information after I check the market until 5th/Dec. Thanks.

November 29th, 2012 at 14:14 | #14

Hello Ryusuke,
      This is amazing, thank you so much for the insights!
      Do you have any photos you can share at all? If so, just let me know and I will send you an email.
      Thanks again.
      Cheers

13. Austin
    August 30th, 2012 at 04:19 | #15

Correction: 15,000K is roughly 17 USD.

Government allows every citizens over the age of 18 to legally import cars from all around the world.

August 30th, 2012 at 08:24 | #16

Thanks very much for these insights Austin, the exchange rate has been amended.